Ethics are at the forefront of my work, they are part of the DNA of my business and guide the actions that I take as a person, business owner and member of society. In the following lines you will find my guidelines for doing business. They are written as positive affirmations and represent the ethical stance I take on my day to day work. However, I acknowledge that I am not perfect and that on occasion, I might fail to meet my own set of guidelines. I invite all stakeholders in my business to keep me accountable to these commitments.
As a person & a citizen
I am first and foremost a human being, and a part of society. As such, I have a responsibility to people and the planet to leave them better than I found them. Before being a designer, a developer, a marketer or a business owner I am a person who believes in making a positive impact in the world.
- I take responsibility for the impact of my actions, and will do everything in my power to make it a positive one.
- I take the time for self-reflection and learning, I do not rely on defaults and strive to grow my knowledge.
- I communicate inclusively, truthfully, & clearly.
As a creator
My work affects people, and any work that I produce which relies on perpetuating systems of oppression, deception or exploitation to succeed means that I have fallen short in my obligations. When the work I create causes harm, either by design or by negligence, I am responsible for that harm.
- I pause to consider all consequences of my work, intended and unintended.
- I evaluate my work based on its impact rather than its form or technical skill.
- I do not create, help in creating or overlook the creation of work that causes harm.
- I create work that positively impacts the people who will be affected by it: inclusive, respectful and just.
- I will involved those impacted by everything I create from the very start of the process.
- I will continuously review my processes ensure my work benefits the common good.
As a member of a professional community
I am a part of a professional community. Every single one of us contributes to the development of our profession and our industry, every thing I do reflects on the people who share my job.
- I ask for help when I am uncertain about the impact of my work.
- I invite, welcome and act on criticism, even when it is hard.
- I stand up against the pressure to prioritize profits above people and the planet.
- I welcome a diverse and competitive, and see my colleagues as allies in the bigger fight, not rivals
- I take responsibility for my part in changing the marketplace to be sustainable, fair and equitable.
Towards my clients, audiences & collaborators
I owe the people who hire me not just my labor but my counsel. I am not hired to execute a job blindly and unquestioning, I am hired because of my knowledge and experience. I am responsible for putting the best interests of my clients, my audiences and society ahead of my own.
- I help my readers, collaborators and clients make the best choice for their needs, not mine.
- When the work I’m asked to create is flawed or harmful, it is my responsibility to flag it and fix it.
- I strive to improve understanding of the impact of what we create, favoring accessibility, clarity and transparency.
Towards society & the planet
My work has an impact that goes beyond just myself and my clients; staying within my field of expertise without acknowledging my privilege and using it for the greater good would be wasteful and pointless.
- I help others understand and discuss the power and challenges of technology
- I recognize the need to break the cycle of consumerism and use business as a force for good.
- I participate in the democratic process of regulating my field, even though it is difficult.
- I fight for democracy and human rights, and to improve the institutions that protect them.
- I work towards a more equal, inclusive and sustainable future for us all, following the United Nations global goals.